top of page
  • ajetservices


Updated: Aug 18, 2023

Mould (also spelled Mold) is becoming a more prominent issue throughout New Zealand and in particular Auckland with all the wet weather. Our managing director Ruan spoke to RNZ about this exact issue.


So what is mould? It's a fungus, meaning it is a living organism. It produces microscopic spores that move through the air easily making them hard to detect – they are invisible to the naked eye. When mould spores are inhaled, ingested or come into contact with skin they can cause serious health issues such as inflamed airways, respiratory infections or irritations.

Prolonged exposure to extensive mould levels may also cause chronic health issues in even the healthiest of people. Not to mention the unsightly and significant damage it does to your property. Because of this, people often ask us how they can check for mould in their home, and how to get rid of mould.

Mould grows in environments where there is high humidity combined with damp or wet

conditions. It takes only a day or so for mould to begin to actively grow, releasing spores into the air. When mould isn’t contained, it spreads and becomes visible. Then you or others in your household may begin to develop symptoms such as headaches, sneezing and coughing. Visible signs of mould can be found on walls, ceilings, curtains, carpets, around windows, and in kitchens or bathrooms. More toxic mould (e.g. Stachybotrys chartarum or “black mould”) often only grow inside wall cavities.

Condensation and water leaks or floods are the most common factors that encourage dampness and the growth of mould in the home. Use effective home

ventilation, adequate heating in winter and insulate your home to reduce air humidity levels.

This helps to keep your home dry and free from condensation, which is moisture that forms on surfaces when warm, moist air meets a cold surface. Check that outside rain and surface water drainage is effective and well maintained.

Routinely check your home for visible signs of mould, as well as mould odour (like a wet dirt smell), peeling or cracked paint or wallpaper and water stains. General dampness or a mould odour may also indicate watertight issues (e.g. holes in walls, old pipes, leaking taps) or standing water under or around the house. If your property has a water damage or flood, it’s paramount that you get in contact with us immediately for effective water restoration.

Spores are more likely to spread when mouldy surfaces are dry. So if you find small amounts of visible mould in your home, you can try to clean it yourself before drying out your home. If there is extensive mould or water damage, call A-Jet to carry out specialised mould and water remediation.

218 views0 comments


bottom of page